[Wolf4SDL] Overcrowded

Discuss mods or new games built on the Wolf3D engine or one of it's derivatives here.
Zombie
Site Admin

[Wolf4SDL] Overcrowded

Post by Zombie » 16 Oct 2019 13:11

I had a brief look, and couldn't see anything overtly wrong with the current build of the game, but I'm sure someone will either remember or find something. So with that said,

Overcrowded

Overcrowded is a Wolfenstein 3D Randomizer I was given too much creative freedom with.

The objective was to create a spin on Wolf3D, with the only changes being made to the exe. The end result of this project is two game modes:

RandomX
The core game mode of the mod. This removes all enemies, and randomizes their spawns, with the ability to choose the spawn rate of enemies. Along with the randomized spawns, there are also special variants of enemies, each with their own abilities (and possibly rewards).
To compensate for the challenges that can lay ahead, the treasure littering the map now contributes to Buff Points, which increase your health and ammo limits, and at certain amounts can be spent to unlock new weapons.

Boss Run
All enemies and most pickups are removed from the map. Instead, food and ammo randomly litter rooms, and bosses are everywhere! The first level eases you in with just a few, but later levels will see you surrounded if you're not careful. There are also multiple special variations of bosses with attacks to change things up.
There are several new weapons exclusive to this mode to alleviate stress, including a shield item and freezing syringe.

There are also WSAD controls, just saying.

The mod runs on Wolf4SDL, and will run with the registered version of Wolf3D. It should also work with most wl6 mods that don't require their own custom exe, though mileage will vary with mods that change art.

If you encounter any issues, please let me know. There will be a few bugs present, but the core game functions, which is what matters.

Download Here

Please have at it. The game also takes screenshots when you finish levels in RandomX (Unless turned off in Options), and will take screenshots of end of game results. If they function as intended (lol) please share your killcounts!

Zombie
Site Admin

Re: [Wolf4SDL] Overcrowded

Post by Zombie » 19 Oct 2019 09:58

I've patched the mod with a fix to issues in the end-game score screen in RandomX. You'll need to update to the latest version if you want your scores to show properly. Links above have been updated

On that note, here's my final score for Episode 1 on Random7:

Sam122

Post by Sam122 » 20 Oct 2019 23:52

Played it it's awesome but i wasn't expecting the guy in the brown uniform to shoot rockets :( but it's worth it when you kill him since you get that cool little boost which makes bj trigger happy :D
"Hmmmmmmmmm interesting" sam122

Zombie
Site Admin

Post by Zombie » 21 Oct 2019 00:32

Sam122 wrote:
20 Oct 2019 23:52
Played it it's awesome but i wasn't expecting the guy in the brown uniform to shoot rockets :( but it's worth it when you kill him since you get that cool little boost which makes bj trigger happy :D
That's the sort of rewarding feeling I was going for, so I'm glad to hear another person enjoy it! There's nothing more delightful that being able to gun down a hundred enemies in a few seconds.
The drop from the grey mutant is pretty good, too. Run into a big crowd when you get it ;)

I'm writing down things for another version (Based on Spear?), and looking to experiment with a more interesting cycle of rewards, and feelings.

That will probably be a more fleshed out mod, with changes to other files as well. The constraint of only working within the exe was an exceptionally fun challenge, and thanks to the help of people like Nex, Aryan and others on Discord I was able to learn some interesting new things about the Wolf4SDL engine. But it was awfully restricting.

Still very much in a planning stage until I'm more prepared with time, but I hope to take the little things I learned from the experience and apply them to a better pseudo-sequel.

Sam122

Post by Sam122 » 21 Oct 2019 09:24

Looking forward to it it has an arcade style which I really like :) also I don't think I have seen the gray mutant drop anything and by gray mutant do you mean the one with a green uniform or are there other mutants?
"Hmmmmmmmmm interesting" sam122

Zombie
Site Admin

Post by Zombie » 21 Oct 2019 11:59

Sam122 wrote:
21 Oct 2019 09:24
Looking forward to it it has an arcade style which I really like :) also I don't think I have seen the gray mutant drop anything and by gray mutant do you mean the one with a green uniform or are there other mutants?
On later levels more enemies appear, including a brown mutant and a grey/black mutant

Zombie
Site Admin

Post by Zombie » 09 Nov 2019 23:21

I've updated Overcrowded with a few bug fixes; namely the flamethrower now functions (better than before it broke!), and poison damage now doesn't carry over level to level.

Prestiging also has been changed; where-as it was originally only available in the first 15 seconds of a level, it has now been changed to be possible at any time during play after Floor 1. To compensate for this, prestige prices have been modified slightly.

The new download is available at https://www.moddb.com/mods/overcrowded/ ... ded-beta-2